What is Matter ?
Matter is anything that has mass and volume, and a whole lot more.
Actually, Matter is made up of many substances, their properties determined not only by the substances themselves but also how they INTERACT.
• Matter is made up of interacting "building blocks." In the 19th and 20th centuries, it was understood the interaction of electrons, protons and neutrons form atoms. Today, we understand that Matter is constructed of more microscopic "building blocks," namely quarks and leptons, which interact to form nucleons.
• Physics and chemistry tell us that Matter and energy exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. Physicists call the wave-like forms of matter "matter fields" and the particle-like forms as "quantum excitations of the mode of the matter field." These quantum excitations = INTERACTION
• In cosmology, Matter includes "dark matter" and "dark energy." These exotic forms of "matter" are not formed of the same building blocks as that of "ordinary matter." For our purposes here, we will skip these subjects.
Are you lost? Confused? Bored?
Bare with me a little longer. We need to understand that Matter is more than just "something that has mass and volume and takes up space." Matter is everything, everywhere.
What is Matter?
1. The Physical and Chemical Structure. Matter is made up of atoms and molecules, such as genetic information (DNA), including charged atoms and molecules which includes (plasmas—gases and ions) and electrolytes (ionic solutions.)
2. Beyond Atoms and Molecules. Matter is what atoms and molecules are made of, which are protons, neutrons and electrons. At the microscopic level, the "particles" of matter, such as protons, neutrons and electrons, obey the laws of quantum mechanics.
3. Beyond Protons, Neutrons and Electrons. Protons and neutrons are made up of quarks and the force fields (gluons) that bind them together, and because electrons are leptons, by definition then, Matter is "quarks and leptons."
A Word about Quarks
Quarks are the "building blocks" of Matter as we know it. Quarks are bound to each other (glued) by the strongest force in the universe scientist have named, the "strong force" (gluons.) Gluons are the binding glue that surrounds and connects the quarks. This force binds the quarks so tightly that one quark cannot exist by itself.
Quarks are so small we have been unable to measure their size. They take up less than one billionth of the space inside the proton and make up only a few percent of its mass.
The rest of the space (and what gives the proton the rest of their mass) is the "strong force" itself via carrier particles called, gluons. Gluons generates 98% of the universe's visible mass.
Nature builds particles in 100s of ways from these tiny quarks and forceful gluons.
What composes the "mass" of ordinary matter is interquark interaction energy.
Remember and understand this term: INTERACTION.
What has been described above is what makes up all that exist on our 3-dimensional Physical Plane on Earth and in the Universe, whether or not we can see it, feel it, hear it, or smell it.
Now, in lieu of going into any further detail (definition of) matter as we know and understand it today, I will just list the various forms of matter below:
• Bose-Einstein condensate
• Fermionic condensate
• Core of a neutron star
• Quark-gluon plasma
• Transparent Aluminum
• Dark matter
• Dark energy
As you can see, Matter is a whole lot more than just "something that has mass and volume and takes up space."
Note: "Fully 70% of the matter density in the universe appears to be in the form of dark energy, and twenty-six (26) percent is dark matter. Only 4% is ordinary matter. So less than 1 part in 70 is made out of matter we have observed experimentally or described in the standard model of particle physics. Of the other 96%, apart from the properties just mentioned, we know absolutely nothing." — Lee Smolin: The Trouble with Physics, page 16.
The Secret of Creation ?
In ancient philosophies, the "Cross" (+) is the symbol of the Male and the "Circle" (O) is the symbol of the Female. Combine the Cross and the Circle by placing the Cross within the circumference of the Circle, the two symbols represent the Universal Activity and Universal Creation.
INTERACTION = SEX
The Universal Sex Principal in Nature is the presence and activity of the Sexual Pairs of Opposites—Male and Female. This is the Secret of Creation. These Two Sex Principles operate on every plane of Life, from the Mineral to the Plant to the Animal to the Human to the Super Human to the God-like.
The "positive" pole of magnetism and electricity is "masculine" and the "negative" pole is "feminine." Electrons (female) often detach from its male companion corpuscle and seek a union with another masculine corpuscle. The new union results in the birth of a new atom (of masculine and feminine energies) and a new creative activity begins. See "ionization" below.
"Ionization" is the result of the detachment of the feminine electrons, and out of this detachment becomes the formation of new unions, which result in the phenomena of heat, light, electricity, magnetism, etc.
Now, as we all know and understand, SEX manifests in plant, animal and human life. But what most of us don't know or understand is that, like the plants and animals, the universal principles of SEX also manifest in mineral-life.
Crystallization is one example. The crystallization of minerals is an activity of Sex.
The Law of Attraction works in all Nature. For Creation to happen, the Principle of Sex must be present.
Every single "thing" in Creation manifest the Activity of Sex.
The Universal Flame of Life
The Life of the World Soul—Universal Life—is a Flaming Fire of Life. When "Spirit" is referred to represent "Life," the Flame of Fire has always been the symbol for Spirit.
Now you know how and why Fire and Light & Spirit are used to represent the same.
** The Flame — Fire — is the symbol for Life.
Science classifies the Universe into two classes of Things: (1) Living Things, and (2) Life-less Things.
Minerals and chemical elements are considered lifeless. But esoteric schools teach you that there is nothing lifeless in the Universe. The Universe is ALL alive! Every atom, molecule, plant, animal and planet is the totality of unit forces held together by stronger forces.
Life, Mind, and Matter
Understand, if Life is potential in Matter, and "Mind" is potential in Life, then "Mind" is potential in Matter.
Division of a human egg
Now consider this: A microscopic cell is to become a human being. This cell contains the promise of a germ of "mind." This cell is composed of chemical elements — carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, sulphur, phosphorous, sodium, potassium, chlorine. Each of these elements are built out of the unit of electrons. Therefore, since mind is potential in the unit of matter, we must accept the realization that mind is potential in the electron.
Therefore, "Mind" is in everything! Mind is in humans, animals, plants, minerals, and space. Where there is "Mind," there must be Life, and where there is Life, there must be "Mind."
Crystals are born, grow, live, and can be killed (by chemicals or electricity.)
Crystallization is a birth. The crystal forms from the mother stock; its body is built systematically, according to a well-defined pattern, plan or design. The crystal grows like a plant or animal and reproduces itself by separation and division.
The difference between the growth and reproduction of the crystal and higher life forms is the crystal receives its nourishment from the "OUTSIDE" and builds its body structure on its "OUTER" surface, and although the lower plant-life and animal-life receive their nourishment from the outside, they build up their body structure from "WITHIN." Get it? (Maybe you should to read this paragraph again.)
Matter is not dead. Matter is very much alive.
I don't want to bore you with any more details because the indepth details are not the important point here. Just read the following bullet points below and try to grasp the thinking.
• Razors, having lost their sharpness, with a little rest can restore some of their sharp edge.
• Machinery seems to work better with some "time off."
• Metals can become diseased (ie. rust).
• Stained glass window panes have been subjected to an infectious disease that spreads from pane to pane resulting in the disintegration of the glass.
• Tools experience fatigue (wear out.)
• Metals and minerals subjected to an exterior (harmful?) stimulus have demonstrated responses to that stimulus on a Galvanometer.
• And so on. Get it?
Think of Matter as the "outer garment" of the Soul, or "Life-Mind."
Understand, the Fire — Universal Flame — is in everything everywhere.
Now that we have some simple, basic fundamental understanding of Matter, let's look beyond our 3-dimensional physical plane and explore a dimension beyond our physical universe — Consciousness.
Are you ready for this?
Not only does matter have mind, matter has consciousness!
The Secret Docrine of the Rosicrucians, Magus Incognito